Tuesday 13 November 2012

Cool things ~ RPM Meter

I admit my shortcomings...and one of them is my inability to abide inaccuracy.  I suspect the Westerbeke 35D3 tachometer is not being honest with me...and I also suspect the zero-throttle rpms are a hair too low.  Given that the factory tachometer is but a signal from the alternator, converted to a mechanical needle, how does one accurately-determine rpm?

With one of these...$25...

Laser/digital rpm meter
The unit comes with sticky reflective strips that you stick on the crankshaft pulley, aim and press the green button...easy...at least I hope...it hasn't yet arrived.

1 comment:

  1. I can report that the digital tachometer works extremely-well, and has allowed me to calibrate the Westerbeke tachometer and the idle speed at the engine itself.

    ReplyDelete