Friday 9 November 2012

Diesel Tank rebuilt

I picked the tank up from the engineer yesterday.  I had the bottom floor of the tank cut out entirely, and in it's place I had them weld in a much thicker (3mm) plate, and remove exactly 10mm from all sides.  As a result the tank is 10mm "shorter" from bottom to top.  This was done to ease removal and installation in the future, and will have very little impact on capacity.  It also completely-eliminated the original lower welds, giving me new welds all around.  Securing the tank in the locker will be as easy as adjusting the position of the boards and trim that hold it down against the hull.  I have also purchased some foam rubber strips to add to these contact points. The tank was pressure tested.

I then cleaned and lightly-sanded to tank before masking off and spraying with 2 coats of aluminium etch-primer and two coats of dark grey epoxy paint.

Installation perhaps Sunday, then install new secondary filter and test run.





No comments:

Post a Comment