Monday 9 December 2013

Simpson-Lawrence SL Hyspeed Windlass Restoration

The manual windlass at the bow of my boat has always bothered me.  I never use it, but it was in bad visual condition, and being so obvious, I think it said something to the passing public...something like "this boat is in decline".

So with the brilliant weather that November brings in the Southern Hemisphere, I have decided to restore it.

For some unknown reason, I failed to take a "before" photo, so I found one on the internet that represents the condition it was in before I started:

Thank you to the owner...whoever you are...mine was actually worse, paint coming off in large flakes.


I will shortly upload an "after" picture, which will show the result of careful disassembly, stripping, sanding, priming and painting.  It has turned out very nice.


For anyone considering the same project, here is a link to the original owner's manual:

http://www.lewmar.com/%5Cassets%5Cimg%5Cdataset%5CManual-S-L%20Hyspeed-D1021-1.pdf

UPDATE 7/12/13

It's all back together, looks good. I caulked the seams after this photo was taken. 


2 comments:

  1. WOW !!
    Are you SURE that that is the same winch?

    Eddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit up front...it ISN'T the same winch! I somehow neglected to take a "before" photo, but to paint you a mental picture, the white paint was coming off in large flakes. The starboard side was down to bare aluminium, and that was starting to show signs of surface corrosion. The bronze bits were all green, and the shaft was starting to corrode.

    I stripped everything down and restored it all, including the clutch cone, which would appear to be made of some sort of fiber.

    ReplyDelete