Monday 12 November 2012

Clean your water strainer!

As the boat is new to me I don't know when last the raw water strainer was cleaned, but I am glad I took a look yesterday:


The large object on the lower right is a black olive (!)...I suppose the rest is the other half of the greek salad?  Perhaps we sailed too close to a cruise ship.

The strainer was 90% filled...did not notice lack of flow on our first trip, but this has shocked me into regular maintenance on this item.  I didn't have a chance to clean the glass bowl itself, but I will find a toothbrush and do so soon.

The new tank is installed and filled with clean diesel.  The Racor filter was changed and the bowl cleaned.  When I ran the motor for 1/2 hour there was still some particles/debris in the bowl, so I cleaned it again.  I suspect there is some debris in the supply line/primer bulb, so I may have to keep cleaning the bowl for a while.  I am getting good at it, including bleeding the air without making a big mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment