Wednesday 10 March 2021

New ship's clock!

Wireless has a matching Weems & Plath clock and barometer set.  Recently the clock failed, due to what I suspect to be a faulty plastic movement.

Trouble is...the bloody things sell for nearly $400NZD.  No replacement parts are available, even if I could find a way to work on it, as everything was glued together.  Even the battery was an oddball (try finding an N battery).


So I looked around an found a local alternative here in New Zealand.

Cruising Electronics

This is a business run by sailors for sailors and I'm happy to support them.

This is an outfit based in Cable Bay Northland that market various clocks, barometers etc.  I purchased the small version of the clock/tide clock combo.  Looking at it online I saw that it was obviously set in a brass case, with a traditional opening to ease battery replacement (the W&P required pulling it off the bulkhead).


I bought this clock for $155 NZD.  It arrived today and I was amazed.  It's heavy, as the case is thick polished brass.  The beveled glass face is also very thick, as are the hinges and "dog".  

Opening the case allows the entire clock to swing outward for easy battery changes.






I've now bought the matching barometer.








1 comment: