Friday 26 March 2021

B&G 496/213 Masthead Repair

 My 15 year old B&G 213 masthead wind meter failed some time ago.  The directional indicator at the top is fine, but the cup speed indicator seems to have bad bearings.

Bearings required (2ea) are:


030804161F1/8 x 5/16 x 9/64FR2-5-ZZInch Flanged Bearings

I'm pulling it apart and will replace the bearings.  First obstacle is a stripped 1.5mm set screw.

I'll try a few options before drilling it out, it will need replacing.

If I have to, I'll buy the entire bearing housing, which is $150NZD and is part # 213-10-038


These things are more than $1000 if you can find one, so worth trying.





Update 11/5/21:  I just ended up buying a new bearing for $169NZD.  I reassembled it and I'm just waiting for the rigger to re-install along with a new VHF antenna.


Update 2/6/21:  The rigger has installed the rebuilt wind unit, along with a new VHF antenna and in fact 2 new lenses and bulbs for my tri-color and steaming lights.  He also replaced my burgee line from the mast top.



3 comments:

  1. How did u get the set screw out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I replaced the entire unit with new-old stock item I found online.

      Delete