Monday 8 July 2013

Success!!

Success!  With a brand new pre-heat solenoid in hand I went down to the yacht tonight and replaced the old unit.

Installation was fairly straight-forward, but I made sure to wire brush every ring terminal to ensure a good electrical contact.

As soon as I depressed the glow plug button I heard the lift pump clicking away strongly (it is VERY obvious when it's working, and the voltage drop at the engine panel is noticeable) and the motor fired instantly with 10sec glow plug heat.

A word of advice with new motors, never assume that some small components like this wont be transferred from the old engine. I assumed it all must be new, but not so!  It must have been pulled from the original engine, which of course would not have come with some of these ancillary parts.
Old one ~ note that solenoids can fail by still "clicking", but not making good contact ~ very deceptive


Yes...I have a label maker...that says "NEW 8/7/13"



On to the next challenge, feeling of accomplishment etc...



1 comment:

  1. Neat...would have cost a lot to have it done by someone else...

    ReplyDelete