Monday 8 July 2013

A touch of Gloss!



On the heels of my brilliant cabin sole refinish, I've now done the grate at the foot of the companionway steps and the steps themselves.

I know what you're saying..."wear a helmet!"

But I use rubber-backed mats in this area, and the steps will be covered in non-skid adhesive strips, so don't fret.

Before

After


The dings and knocks on these pieces have been left intentionally.  It is not my intent to create an interior that looks factory-new.  I want the history and character of the yacht to remain, but I want the interior to absolutely-dazzle visitors.


12/7/13 UPDATE!!
I've finished the companionway steps, the slatlted sole piece and the engine access panel. It really sets the area off.



I see that the next phase will have a few challenges.  These screws have badly stained the wood.  Will need sanded all the way back. 



UPDATE 15/7/13

I've done a trial on the small cabinet door that opens to the back of the cockpit instruments with a gloss polyurethane and I don't like it (!). Thankfully I wiped it off again before it cured with no trouble. 

The gloss finish is just too revealing of flaws and it is very difficult to get a smooth finish without a lot of sanding. On the cabin sole this was ok as it was done in the garage, but on board it would be too messy. 

So I am now researching the proper method of bringing some lustre to the factory varnish with a hard paste wax and some elbow grease. 

I will report back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment