Monday 13 September 2021

Brand new '62!

I'm thinking ahead now to creating some new cabin cushions.  I think I'll find some thicker/firmer foam and fabric to brighten and modernise the look.

Of course, poverty being the mother of invention I've been scouring the country for a sewing machine to replace my Adler (Old Adler)  (sold some years ago in a downsize).

I've found this 1962 Pfaff 145, a medium duty commercial machine built for canvas and heavy fabrics.

I plan to mechanically restore it and replace the high speed clutch motor with a low speed/high torque servo motor.  This is a conversion I did with the Adler as well.

The table will need a coat of paint on the top, frame, and pedals.

An initial cleaning of the machine with kerosene before pulling it to pieces for accurate setup will complete the project.

Update: 22/8/21

I've decided to peel off the old laminate and paint the wood surface below  Heavy sanding and wood plugs in all the old holes. Seal with epoxy, filler, primer and paint.

I wanted to use paint that I had at hand, so the top is gloss white enamel and the frame is GOLD! This will take some getting used to.
Installed 550w DC servo motor.  I love these motors...quiet, programmable, and HUGE torque.



12/9/21

It's complete and working! I needed to time the needle, but as you can see it's now stitching wonderfully!

2 comments: