Sunday 16 October 2016

Solar Panel

My engine starting battery is now 7 years old, and has long ago begun to exhibit signs of failing. While old, I also suspect the lack of any charging system has contributed to its demise.  While my 50 amp charger has a trickle charger wired to the starter, in my current marina I can only use the 30amp charger, which does not.

I purchased a new 900CCA marine start battery but knew things needed to change.

I devised a plan to install a 30 watt solar panel and a dual outlet regulator, one which charges the starter, then the house battery bank, in that order.

I completed the installation today, using the required waterproof wiring and connectors above deck.

30 watt flexible panel, produces 0.9amp

Dual bank regulator. 



I now have the ability to charge my house batteries under engine power, through either shore chargers, through generator or through solar.  The start battery under engine power, solar, or the 50 amp charger ashore.

No comments:

Post a Comment