Wednesday 26 June 2013

Cabin sole re-finishing

From the start, I began to suspect that the very clever and beautiful cabin dining table would prove more of an obstacle than anything else, and I was right.  
The table is large enough to serve everyone seated on the starboard side, and when unfolded it does the same for the port side diners...the problem is when you add up the number of times you eat with a large group of people, and compare that to the number of times you wrench your back trying to access the lockers behind this bloody table, or wish that you had still more floor space for the kids to play...you realize the table must go.

So...a couple of weeks ago I did just this, I pulled the table off the boat.  No real drama, it's not as heavy as it looks.

But like all small projects, it grew in size and complexity.  I noticed that the teak & holly cabin sole was discolored where the table legs sat for 26 years, and that the cabin sole in general was rather dull.



I knew that I wanted to make some changes to the plumbing and clean up the under-floor wiring, so I removed all of the sole panels.




I took the panels home and washed them.  I then sanded them lightly and carefully with 180 and then 240 grit with a random orbital sander.

I applied 3 coats of Cabots CFP Water-Based Flooring Polyurethane (formulated for skid-resistance when dry),
and was extremely-happy with the end result.





The space down below now is remarkable, the measurement between the base of the port and starboard settees is actually just over 1.5m, which can be better appreciated if you pull it on a tape measure...this on a 30' boat!





1 comment:

  1. Another nice job Jim. I'll have to keep that Cabots product in mind when I redo the forward cabin on my 30U.

    ReplyDelete